Why You Should Schedule an AC Maintenance Service
There are many things you can do yourself to prepare your Air Conditioner for summer. Check out our previous blog post for a great AC to-do list. However, there are some things that require a licensed technician to identify before it causes a major problem.
If preventative AC maintenance is not done, you could be dealing with pricey issues like these.
If your refrigerant is low, you may be tempted to try to figure out a way to refill it yourself. This is not a good idea for many reasons.
- Certification – You must be EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) certified to handle refrigerant.
- Illegal – If you are not certified, you can’t legally buy refrigerant.
- Dangerous – Refrigerants are unsafe to handle without training.
- Specific Consequences – Using the wrong refrigerant could result in personal injuries & property damage.
On top of that, if you have a leak situation, you will never find out about it without proper training.
It may be time to simply upgrade your system. If you just replace this part when it fails, you will be spending almost as much money to keep a failing AC unit alive!
You may need a new unit if the compressor is:
- Old – A compressor is at a much higher risk of failure after six years.
- Requiring R-22 Refrigerant – This is a discontinued refrigerant for new models.
- Not Covered Under Warranty – This is a big financial risk.
Technicians at Doug’s can help you with a replacement if necessary.
It’s great to take initiative and clean your AC unit and the area around it. Even so, there are still internal parts that will accumulate grime over time. Dirt can cause part failure directly or help create ice that causes failure.
You should never attempt this by yourself for these reasons:
- Breakers – They need to be off
- Coil Cleaning – A special agent may be required
- Complex Parts – It’s not worth the risk breaking something difficult to repair on your own
Eliminate These Worries With One Call!
Reach us at (985) 746-1116 for an appointment with licensed and certified AC experts, and avoid problems with your AC.