5 Telltale Signs You Need Air Conditioning Service
Now that we’re deep into the dog days and the humidity’s high enough to make the air feel like soup, your air conditioner is really being put through its paces. Let’s face it: if that bad boy breaks down right now, you are not going to be a happy camper! That’s why it’s important to know the signs of an unhappy air conditioner so you can call Doug’s for AC service before it’s too late.
5 Signs Your Air Conditioning System Needs Attention
1. You Have to Lower or Adjust the Thermostat Frequently
Your thermostat is designed to keep your home at a constant temperature, so if you and your family are making daily temperature adjustments, it’s a clear sign that something isn’t right with your home comfort system. Rather than continue making adjustments and hoping for the issue to resolve itself, have a Doug’s technician inspect the system to find the root problem.
2. The Temperature Doesn’t Match the Thermostat Setting
This is a classic sign that your air conditioner needs attention. Whether there’s a problem with the thermostat or with the air conditioner itself, you should call Doug’s for repair if you notice that the air coming from your vents is too hot or cold.
3. Loud Noises Coming from the Air Conditioner Unit
Any abnormal noise from your air conditioner is a sign that something is wrong, but the noise it’s making can give you an idea of the potential problem—which comes in handy when trying to describe the problem to us during a service call.
- Whistling or Popping: If you hear a popping sound when the AC cycles on or a whistling sound while the unit is running, it’s a sign that your have restricted airflow due to a clogged filter or duct blockage.
- Rattling: Rattling noises are an indication that your AC unit has broken hardware inside that’s knocking around when the unit runs.
- Buzzing or Humming: Loud buzzing and humming noises often mean that the air conditioner’s capacitor or fan motor needs to be replaced.
- Clanging: The most common cause of clanging sounds a bent or broken fan blade.
4. Short Cycling or Constant Running
Short cycling, or the unit cutting on and cutting off again quickly, could mean that your AC unit is the wrong size for your home, which an air conditioner that runs constantly could be reaching the end of its service life. Either way, you may want to consider replacing the unit.
5. Inexplicably High Power Bills
When your power bill starts to rise for no apparent reason, a malfunctioning air conditioner is the likely culprit. Your AC may be using more energy for a variety of reasons, from needing a tune-up to needing a full replacement, so make sure to have a system check up done before your power bill rises any higher.
When You Notice The Signs, Take Action!
Don’t risk your home comfort during the dog days of summer. If you notice any of these problem signs coming from your air conditioner, call Doug’s at (985) 222-2913 today!